Report for councillors: Update the Council on VJ Art Commemoration
Issued to: Town Improvements Meeting – Monday 13th July 2020
Following consideration of the report it was suggested to approach the property owners of the Job Centre and S & A Linens in the High Street to see if artwork could be put in those windows. Concerns were voiced that caution regards social distancing should be still be kept in mind when encouraging people to the high street.
£ 300.00 Events Budget production of paper maps (agreed 31/20/TIMPS)
Policy implications – Corporate Pillars:
3.1 Support and benefit local business
3.3 Support the promotion of Burnham-on-Sea and Highbridge
3.4 Actively support and encourage local tourism
4.1 Promote healthy living by supporting community-based activities and initiatives
Due to the ongoing changes with Covid-19 guidance, street closures, reviews to the social distancing requirements in town, concerns expressed relating to this and availability suitable premises, the working party after several considerations have decided to work towards the following:
- Seek permission via agents to use the old Job Centre window for art work to be displayed. With an alternative as the Library window being requested. S&A Linens as mentioned above is now no longer vacant.
- Decision made not to use paper maps with risk of spreading the virus but to list where the art work is displayed and who created it on the town council website/media and clearly identified on the windows who has contributed, £300 budget no longer needed.
- Primary Schools contacted and have agreed to help in principle – suggestions are to colour or decorate an image of a poppy, rainbow or to create a paper chain of people in different colours.
- Local artists have expressed an interest in being involved and are being contacted
- A map of the Spray Jam Artwork is being created by students of The King Alfred School Academy, which was hoped to be included, but will not be ready until the Autumn term.
The original proposal has been altered to take into the current situation.