With Christmas over and dark and grey skies abounding, Sedgemoor District Council are putting some fun back into local communities with a programme of free and exciting events. In association with local events company, eat:Festivals and funded by the Government Welcome Back Fund, there will be a fun-filled programme of different events, at different locations, over the next couple of months to banish the blues, which will bring people back to our high streets and town and village centres.
eat:Festivals are working closely with other local businesses and providers to put on fun and engaging events in Burnham on Sea, Highbridge, Cheddar, Axbridge, Wedmore and Bridgwater.
The programme will kick off with two free drive-in cinema events:
Apex Park in Highbridge on Friday 21st January with two films.
‘Cars’ for our younger residents will be shown at 1630 hrs (gates open at 1530 hrs)
and all-time classic ‘Dirty Dancing’ at 2000 hrs (gates open at 1900 hrs)
There are three blockbusters to choose from at Cheddar on Saturday, 22nd January. ‘Monsters inc’ will be shown at 1300 hrs (gates open 1200 hrs); ‘The Greatest Showman’ will be screened at 1630 hrs (gates open at 1530 hrs) and finally ‘North by Northwest’ will be shown at 2000 hrs (gates open at 1900 hrs).
Tickets are available to book now, the links and further information can be found on the council website at https://www.sedgemoor.gov.uk/article/4505/Re-opening-of-High-Street-
To make sure that everything is set up in Apex Park on Friday, 21st January, the car park will be closed on 21st January. People can still access the park and there will be signs put up in Apex Park to remind people about the event.
The future events include:
- Damian Boyd location map– Winter storytelling that bring the streets alive with spoken word. A digital archive of stories, poems and reflections connected to QR codes hosted by local shops and businesses supplemented by led walks by story tellers – exploring the High Street and surrounding area. Map Coming Soon!
- Wheelie Wedmore 13/02/2022- A mass meet up for cyclists from across the district with cycle jumble, cycle repair clinics, accompanied rides in from all points of the district on cycle routes. Working with cycle clubs, bike shops, bike doctors/repairers and vintage enthusiasts. More information coming soon!
- Busk-athon in Highbridge 19/02/2022- Utilising every corner of Highbridge to bring the town to life with music.
- Cannington Uncovered 05/03/2022- Temporary street art will be created exposing the archaeological heritage of Cannington and Sedgemoor, and the themes of local history explored using special interest groups and guides.
- Bridgwater Art Fair 19/03/2022- The word “art” means lots of things to lots of people. This free event in the heart of the town utilises the wide variety of public space to host a collection of different art classes, demonstrations and have a go session including: Have a go screen printing sessions, try your hand at pottery sessions, plen air, walking tours of street art, linking to the civic society and the heritage action zone/built environment, life drawing classes, spray up boards and will include the opportunity for local artists to sell their artwork.
The Welcome Back Events are funded from the European Regional Development Fund via the Welcome Back Fund. More details about each event will be published nearer the time.