10th June 2019 Town Improvements

Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 10th June 2019 at 7pm in the Council Chamber in The Old Courthouse, Jaycroft Road, Burnham-on-Sea

Present: Cllrs: Nick Tolley (Chairman), Peter Clayton, Dawn Carey, Janet Keen, Phil Harvey, Chris Allen, Sue Barber, Andy Brewer, Helen Groves and Mike Murphy.

With Sam Winter: Town Clerk, Lorna Brewer: Admin Officer

8 members of the public, 2 representatives from the press

19/19/TIMP   Apologies and Declarations of Interest:         

Apologies were received from Cllrs Hodge and Gardiner-White

There were no declarations of interest or dispensations granted.

20/19/TIMP   Minutes of the previous meeting

The minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 20th March were agreed and signed by the chairman as a correct record.

21/19/TIMP   Presentation from Sally Hill, Live West

A presentation was received from Sally Hill, Community Connector with Live West, regarding the existing community assets and opportunities for the creation of a community plan for Highbridge.

Cllrs Carey, Groves and Murphy agreed to between them represent the Town Council at meetings of the Highbridge Youth & Community Network.

                        Cllr Keen left the meeting.

22/19/TIMP   To receive the Action List and and agree how to proceed with outstanding matters of the previous Town Projects Committee

The List was received and it was resolved that:

  1. The Admin Officer is delegated to purchase and have installed a suitable commemorative clock in memory of Cllr Neville Jones OBE.
  • Cllrs Tolley & Murphy will investigate how to best carry out repair of the town finger posts and will seek quotes.
  • Should there be any future permission sought to hold kite fighting events on the beach, the Town Council will petition Sedgemoor DC to refuse permission on grounds of safety and littering.

23/19/TIMP   Arrangements for Christmas Light displays in both towns

Highbridge: Cllr Murphy agreed to arrange for the installation and switch-on event for Christmas lights in 2019

                        Burnham: It was resolved to delegate the arrangements for the 2019 installation to the town council office.

It was proposed and resolved that quotes will be sought in respect of a 3-year contract for the provision and installation of Christmas light displays for both towns in 2020-2022.

24/19/TIMP   Town Centre Vacancy and Footfall Data

Data was received showing weekly footfall rate comparisons over the last three years, along with data showing an increase in town centre vacancy rates.

25/19/TIMP   Measures for control of Gulls

It was proposed and resolved to source posters discouraging the feeding of gulls and that councillors will promote the posters and encourage their display by traders.

It was further resolved to request Somerset Waste Partnership to supply gull-proof bags for residents who are unable to have wheelie bins.

29/19/TIMP   Installation of “Please do not feed the gulls” sign

It was resolved to install signs at the end of Allandale Road, Grove Road, Poplar Road, Maddocks Slade.

26/19/TIMP   Burnham Evolution Update and Terms of Reference

An update on the project and draft TOR were received.

It was resolved to approve the drafted terms of reference for the Burnham Evolution partnership.

27/19/TIMP   Street litter and storage of bins on the highway

It was resolved to invite relevant parties to attend a site visit to Burnham-on-Sea town centre (including Technical Street) with Cllrs Tolley, Brewer, P Harvey and Clayton, to review the problems and solutions associated with bins and litter.

28/19/TIMP   Invitation to hold a stall at eat:festival on 26th October 2019

                        Members resolved to thank eat:festivals and accept the invitation.

30/19/TIMP   Events gazebo

                        It was resolved that the office will purchase a gazebo, branded for the Town Council, at a cost of up to £800 for use by the Council at events.

31/19/TIMP   To receive an update on ownership & use of the flagpole in Highbridge

                        The meeting noted that Sedgemoor DC is considering repairing and allowing the Town Council to take ownership of the pole outside the Community Hall.

31/19/TIMP   The next meeting of the Committee will be held on Monday 15th July, 7pm in the Council Chamber

There being no further business the Chairman closed the meeting at 20.58hrs.

We use cookies to help make this site better. Read more about our cookie policy.

Skip to content