Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 13th November 2019 at 7pm in the Council Chamber, The Old Courthouse, Jaycroft Road, Burnham-on-Sea.
Present: Cllrs: Chris Allen (Chair), Andy Brewer, Sue Harvey, Janet Keen, Steve Lester (no voting rights) with Lorna Williams (Deputy Clerk) in attendance.
There were no speakers.
Cllrs. Colette Winfield and Alistair Gordon
3919/BC Declarations of Interest in items on this agenda & dispensations granted
There were none
40/19/BC Approval of Minutes
The minutes of the Burial Committee held on 11th September 2019 were approved and signed by the Chairman as a correct record.
41/19/BC Action List
The Clerk updated members with information regarding completed actions:
- Burials above ground – known as Mausoleums, they are more expensive than any other type of interment. Members agreed not to investigate further
- Members agreed to allow the wood from Yew, Cherry or Oak to be taken away from the cemeteries by Artistry in Wood. There may be a price reduction from Sedgemoor District Council in the removal of the remaining arisings.
42/19/BC Management and Maintenance
The Clerk gave a verbal update on the Management and Maintenance of the cemeteries:
- 4000th entry had been recorded by the volunteer on the database for Highbridge Cemetery. 1 Doctor and the 5th 100-year-old person had been recorded
- An Ornamental Cherry Tree had been donated to Brent Road Cemetery
- The maintenance of the trees is due to be activated as previously identified in the three year schedule
The Clerk was asked if the Town Council had a Tree Policy as the Corporate Plan identified potential actions within Corporate Pillar 5 – Clean and Green Environment. The Burial committee would like to work towards producing a Tree Policy.
ACTION The Clerk was asked to put on the next agenda of this Committee to discuss the formulation of a Tree Policy and also to explore entering cemeteries into Britain in Bloom.
43/19/BC A suggestion to cut the Eastern hedge in Brent Road Cemetery in return for rent of £430 from the tenant of the grass keep was considered. It was resolved to agree with this proposal.
44/19/BC Management Reports
Members NOTED the Management Reports for September 2019
45/19/BC Budget for 2020/21
Members NOTED the income from the cemeteries over past 3 years.
Members considered the report on comparison fees and charges and reviewed the fees and charges from April 2020. It was RESOLVED that the fees would increase with effect from 1st April 2020
Members NOTED the breakdown of Draft Budget by cemetery. It was noted that there was no increase in overall costs.
It was resolved to approve the Committee budget presented by the Deputy Clerk for recommendation to the Finances and Resources Committee at a budgeted cost of £114,112
46/19/BC Date of Next meeting
It was noted that the next meeting of this committee will be held on Monday 17th February 2020 at 7pm at The Old Courthouse.
The Chairman closed the meeting at 8:10pm