Burnham-on-Sea & Highbridge Town Council

29th June 2020 Seafront enhancement sub-committee Minutes

MINUTES: Seafront enhancement sub-committee (Town Improvements Committee)

Minutes of the meeting held on 29th June 2020 at 3pm via video conferencing.

Present: Cllr M Facey, Cllr P Clayton, Cllr A Hodge, Cllr P Harvey, Cllr M Murphy with Steve Matthews, Project Coordinator and Sam Winter, Town Clerk.

1/20/Sea To receive apologies for non-attendance
Cllrs Carey & Allen
2/20/Sea To receive any declarations of interest on items included on this Agenda.

3/20/Sea To receive an update on the live elements of the Burnham Evolution plan

The meeting received detail on the funding sources and values for each live aspect of the CIM funded business plan and noted that as the original bid document was for a much larger project, the compression of that bid to a far smaller and tightly controlled budget, has created some challenges.

4/20/Sea To consider how to progress issues within the signage report from Steve Matthews, Project Coordinator
The meeting received the Project Officer’s report and considered existing signage, including town fingerposts and seafront signs. Locations were proposed for the installation of new and replacement signs promoting venues, walks (in a logical progression) and areas of interest/activity. It was noted that the existing budget will require use of existing posts, which dictates the use of a traditional style. It was further noted that the legal position requires that distance is shown in imperial measurements.

The Project Coordinator requested the group to put together a list of specific signs it would like installed so that he can prepare a proposal for approval by the sub-committee/town improvements committee. He agreed to hold discussions with the manufacturer of the faulty fingerposts about reaching an agreement on replacement signs. Cllr Clayton volunteered to assist by preparing a list of signage.
5/20/Sea To consider how to progress identified works:
• seafront shelters(£40k)
It was noted that the available funding is insufficient to replace shelters and it was subsequently agreed that the Project Coordinator will liaise the relevant Sedgemoor officer on permitted refurbishment in traditional colours and styles before submitting proposals for approval by the sub-committee
• lighting (£17k)
The meeting noted that the original bid was for a sum to replace the lighting, but the final budget is £17k. It was agreed that the town clerk will contact the SDC lighting officer to discuss the possibility of the town council making a contribution to replace the damaged/missing lights and ascertain how it might have input into the replacement style by supporting the costs. The Project Coordinator will provide a report, post liaison, on permissible styles.
• works related to project coach (£12k)

The meeting heard that Project Coach is a Burnham Chamber of Trade project, supported by the town council. The £12k budget is to fund a dedicated drop-off/collection point with coach driver’s shelter that would better support coach friendly status.

It was agreed that the Project Coordinator will liaise with SDC to identify and report on suitable building options and provide costs/delivery.

• Benches & bins

The meeting heard that the principal council operates a rolling refurb programme on the benches according to capacity, which this tends to lead to a lengthy process. The Project Coordinator will liaise with the relevant SDC team to ascertain how we might help with the refurb through their work planning. He will also liaise in a similar fashion with regards replacement bins.

6/20/Sea Next steps for play area
The meeting heard that the tender process is underway, with full inclusion of SDC.

It was acknowledged that the budget for maintenance and mandatory inspections requires finalisation. It was noted that a member of the TC grounds staff will be trained to undertake some level of regular RoSPA compliant inspections for which appropriate IT will be required, although it was noted that an annual independent inspection is also required.

It was agreed that the Project Coordinator will hold further talks with SDC, prior to award of design and build contract, for a possible shorter initial maintenance agreement. The town clerk will look into the costs associated with additional bins in the play area.

Records Retention Schedule

Financial Risk Management Policy - March 2023

Grant Application Kings Coronation Form

The Coronation of His Majesty King Charles III will take place on Saturday 6th May 2023, with an additional bank holiday on Monday 8th May 2023.

We are keen to hear from groups/organisations in Burnham-on-Sea and Highbridge that are looking to celebrate the Coronation. The Town Council has £1500 available to allocate to events being organised to celebrate the Kings Coronation. The maximum grant to be allocated per event will be £500.

You must meet the following criteria for your application to be considered:

– The event will be open to all members of the public

– The event will be free of charge

– The event will take place within the Coronation weekend

– The event will take place within Burnham on Sea or Highbridge


Applications will close on Monday 6th March at midday. 

Your organisation and contact details

What happens next....
Applications will be considered at the Finance and Resources Committee Meeting on Monday 13th March 2023. You will be notified after this date whether your application has been successful.
Burnham & Highbridge Town Council takes your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information for the purposes of contacting you about this grant. The Council’s privacy notice can be found here.

We use cookies to help make this site better. Read more about our cookie policy.

Skip to content